The Official Website of Margate Football Club
Facebook icon Twitter icon Instagram icon YouTube icon Mailing list icon

Next fixture

Harrow Borough vs Margate

Saturday 07 October @ 3:00 PM
Isuzu FA Trophy

Harrow Borough Margate FC

Latest result

Chesham United vs Margate

Saturday 30 September @ 3:00 PM
Emirates FA Cup

Chesham United 2 - 0 Margate FC

League table

14 Wingate & Finchley 710
15 Canvey Island 79
16 Margate 79
17 Dulwich Hamlet 87
18 Kingstonian 87
Home / News / MATCH REPORT / Blues Suffer Heavy Defeat

Blues Suffer Heavy Defeat

Blues Suffer Heavy Defeat

Margate suffered a 5-2 home defeat to Enfield Town on Saturday, despite leading twice at Hartsdown Park.

With Lewis Knight, Ade Cole, Troy Howard and Fjord Rogers out injured, Manager Andy Drury had to name himself on the bench alongside new arrival Korrey Henry, who only signed for the ‘Gate late on Saturday morning.

The Blues started the quickest with both Harvey Smith and Harrison Hatfull forcing early headers as the Blues looked to bounce back from their FA Cup exit the week before. The Blues were definitely on top in the opening 20 minutes and were rewarded on 22 minutes as loanee Cameron Brodie struck the Blues ahead with his third goal for the club.

Unfortunately for the Blues the lead only lasted three minutes as Enfield’s own new signing Wraynel Hercules from Brentford saw his mishit cross sneak in at the near post to draw the visitors level.

The equalising goal seemed to provide the visitors with an extra spring in their step, however the Blues back-line continued to usher Adam Cunnington out of the game as the sides went in level at the half-time break.

It didn’t take Margate long to find their impetus in the second half as a beautiful free-kick was delivered onto the head of Harry Hudson who guided the ball home to restore the Blues advantage.

Just minutes later the ‘Gate could have extended their lead further as Ben Greenhalgh showed trickery on the right before cutting in and seeing his fierce effort parried away to safety.

Despite their positive start to the second half, the Blues were dealt a sucker punch in the 56th minute as the ball eventually fell to Joseph Payne who calmly slotted home to make it 2-2.

Despair soon turned to disbelief just two minutes later as Enfield took the lead for the first time of the afternoon as Andre Coker somehow bundled the ball past Amadou Tangara to give the visitors the lead.

Within the space of two minutes Margate had seen their lead eroded, and despite the introduction of Korrey Henry in the 62nd minute who showed some nice hold up play, the ‘Gate fell further behind in the 70th minute as Harry Hudson deflected a cross into his own net to all but secure the points for the visitors.

The misery was further compounded in the 78th minute as Bilal Sayoud extended the visitors lead to 5-2 to send the stunned Blues fans home in sheer disbelief.

The ‘Gate return to action on Tuesday night as they travel to Faversham Town in the first round of the 2022/23 Kent Senior Cup with kick-off at 7:45pm.

MARGATE: Tangara, Hatfull, Fisher, Brodie, Hudson, Blackman, Bessey-Saldanha, Greenhalgh, Barton, Ojemen, Smith (Henry 62’)

Subs not used: Knight, Kallmeier, Adams, Drury

Margate Goalscorer’s

Cameron Brodie 22’

Harry Hudson 47’



Saturday, 24 September 2022
By MFC Media

More news